Serious injury is common during football games both professional and casual, although death as a result of playing is still rare. That said, the possibility of fatal injury is still a common concern especially in high school or college games. These are the most common injuries that players often experience as a result of being on the field.
- There’s a reason that so many athletes receive hamstring massages before, during, or after a big game. It’s because a strain of this muscle is one of the most common injuries on the field. The muscle cluster runs from the butt all the way down to behind the knee. Football players are most likely to injure themselves this way during a kick or while running.
- Players will often tear important ligaments in or around the knee. This most often occurs when the surrounding muscles haven’t been exercised or used properly before continuous or repetitive exercise or activity. They prevent an athlete from moving or running, and can take a player out of the game for an entire season.
- A rotator cuff strain is another injury that players will incur, most often after a bad throw or a poor tackle. The four muscles of the rotator cuff act as a support at the shoulder joint, and straining or tearing any of these muscles can result in extreme pain.
- As with any athlete, shin splints are a common concern. This injury, also called tibial stress syndrome, results from inflammation in the muscles and tendons that help support the shinbone. It’s painful, and must be treated with rest.
- Not surprisingly, football players incur concussions at a phenomenally high rate regardless of whether the game is professional or casual. Football players experience concussion at a rate of about 75 percent. Growing awareness of this statistic is why many people joke that we’ll all be watching our kids play flag football in a hundred years.
- Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions is the only player in the NFL to have died on the field. He had a family history of heart disease, and an underlying condition that had gone unnoticed. He dropped during a game, and began to have convulsions after blood flow to his heart was completely cut off. He was pronounced dead after a visit to the hospital.